The feedlot program was developed to protect waters in our agricultural areas. The two primary concerns are ensuring that manure on a feedlot or from a manure storage area does not run into water and making sure that nutrient rich manure is applied to cropland at a rate, method, and time that prevents run off to enter into our streams, ground water and lakes.

             In October of 2000 the feedlot rule (Minn. R. ch. 7020) revision went into effect. This allowed counties to be delegated to implement the feedlot programs. In the December of 2000 the Goodhue SWCD took on the responsibility to regulate the feedlot program in Goodhue County. The County Feedlot Officer has the ability/authority to regulate feedlots from 0-999AU (animal units). Feedlots that hold over 1,000 AU are regulated through the MPCA and have a zero discharge policy. All feedlots in Goodhue County that are 10AU or higher are required to be registered with the Goodhue County feedlot officer. Use the                                                  to figure out how many Animal Units (AU) you have on your site. If you need to be registered or have any feedlot questions please contact your                                 , your feedlot officer at 651-923-5286.     



Time to Re-register your feedlot! 


This year is the re-registration period. All feedlots must be reregistered and entered by the end of 2014. A mailing had been sent out to all feedlot owners/operators this past October 2012. Please send in your Updated Registration Froms along with your $50 fee. A reminder letter will be sent out to all feedlot owners/operators that have not returned their forms yet. If you need a new form there is a link below. Along with the Goddhue County Fees document. ​

What is a Feedlot?

A feedlot is a lot of buildings or combination of lots and buildings intended for the confined feedging, breeding, raising, or holding of animals and specifically designed as a confinement area in which manure may accumulate.

Any Owner capable of holding 10 or more animal units or a manure storage area capable of holding manure produced by 10 or more must be registered in Goodhue County.

Manure Management


RECORD KEEPING: Any person applying or receiving manure from a 100 or more animal unit facility MUST maintain manure application records for the most recent 6 years within special protection areas and for three years outside of special protection areas.

               * 100-299AU- Records must include manure-nutrient test results and all information needed to credit nitrogen from manure applications. If the feedlot holds between 100-299AU and is in a drinking water supply management area where aquifer is designated vulnerable to contamination then the records must  contain the same information as for feedlots with more than 300AU.

                * 300AU or more- These records must be kept. Field acerage and location, amount of manure applied to each field, manure test results, dates of manure application and incorporation, expected amounts of plant-available nutrients from manure and commercial fertilizer eash year, soil test results, and any changes to manure management plan.

MANURE NUTRIENT TESTING: Manure from all manure-storage areas storing manure produced from more than 100AU MUST be tested for nitrogen and phosphorus content at a minimum of once every four years with following exceptions:

                 * Test once/year for at least three years if the manure is from a 300AU or more storage area, and then every four years.

                 * Retest when manure nutrient content may change due to climatic conditions, changes in manure storage or handling, livestock types, or livestock feed.

                  * Must used certified laboratories certified by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture or MPCA-approved on farm sampling and analysis.

                   * Must obtain a representative sample (according to the U of M extension service recomendations)

Building and Construction Permits


At the county level there are 3 types of notice and permits that can be obtained for a feedlot.

          NOTICE OF CONSTRUCTION: Feedlots who are proposing construction or expansion and will have fewer than 300animal units after any expansion to notify the county feedlot officer. Feedlot owners who are proposing construction or expansion of any size to notify all local government units. Both notices are required at least 30 days prior to commencing construction.

         INTERIM PERMIT: For owners with less than 1000AU and non-CAFOs that have an identified pollution problem hazard. For owners of facilities with more than 300AU where land application is on high phosphorus soild; on greater than 6 percent slope in protection areas; or in drinking-water supply management area where the aquifer is vulnerable. Interim permits can be issued for any size facility under 1000AU. In some cases, interim permits may be required for construction or expanson activities under 300AU.

          CONSTRUCTION SHORT-FORM: For facilities proposing to construct or expand in the range of 300 to 999AU that do not have pollution problem.

A county conditional use permit will be needed if:

           A. Any new or expanding feedlot that meets or exceeds 500Au in an A-1 Zoning District.

           B. Any new expanding feedlot that meets or exceeds 300AU in an A-2 Zoning District.

           C. Any proposed lagoon system, earthen storage basin, or associated structure (pit) fir the storage or treatment of animal waste that exceeds 500,000 gallons.

           D. Any animal feedlot outside of a farmyard.

For questions or more information please contact the feedlot officer.


Helpful links: